About materials and ingredients
About the materials and ingredients contained in our products.
- Q：Do you use paraben in your products? A： All of our original products are paraben-free.
- Q：Are products that contain paraben not good for the skin? A： It is not necessarily right to say that parabens are not good for your skin. Many people use products that contain parabens without problems. Products that contain parabens have the advantage of being able to use in relatively unclean environment.
- Q：Do you use preservatives in your products? A： Since the packing materials we use are not single-use types, we provide products with antifungal properties by using BG, 1,2-hexanediol, ethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, propanediol, hinokitiol, and phenoxyethanol. Among these ingredients, only hinokitiol, and phenoxyethanol are categorized as preservatives defined in the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law. The other ingredients serve as antibacterial ingredients and moisturizing ingredients at the same time.
- Q：Do you use mineral oils in your products? A： Our original products are mineral oil-free. Mineral oils are made from petroleum and refined for cosmetics and medicines. They are clear and colorless liquids or white solids and have little odor or taste. Paraffins and petrolatum are mineral oils, but Matsuyama does not use them at all.
- Q：What is a Tocopherol? A： It is a natural vitamin E extracted from soybeans and rapeseed. We use Tocopherol to prevent acidity of the ingredients.
Q：Which of your products are 100% plant-based?
The following products are 100% plant-based.
・- M Mark series Sasanqua and Jojoba Hair Oil
- Q：Do you use animal-derived materials in your products? A： At Matsuyama, we use 6 types of animal-derived materials for our products: beef tallow, squalane, beeswax, honey, sodium lauroyl hydrolyzed silk, sericin.
- Q：Does any of your products contain alcohol? Doesn’t it impose stress on the skin? A： The alcohol (ethanol) contained in some of our products has an astriction, which tightens up the skin, a refreshing action for creating a fresh feeling of use, and the action of providing the products with an antibacterial property. In addition, “ethanol” is sometimes indicated in all ingredients because it is used as a solvent for taking extracts from plants. The alcohol used in Matsuyama’s products is a drinkable alcohol produced by a fermentation process and does not impose stress on the skin, except for those with skin sensitive to alcohol. We recommend alcohol-free products to those who have skin susceptible to alcohol, but if you do not, there is no need to concern yourself about the use of alcohol-containing products.
- Q：What does “alcohol-free” mean? A： It means that a product contains no alcohol (ethanol). Ethanol is widely recognized as “alcohol,” and merely alcohol refers to ethanol or “sake” or “liquors” in general. Note that such blended ingredients as behenyl alcohol, BG, and 1,2-hexanediol are chemically classified as “alcohol (alcohols)” but are not “alcohol” in a general sense.
- Q：Is silicone used in your products? A： No, silicone is not used in any of our products. We don't use silicones even in our shampoos, conditioners and treatments.
- Q：Do you use synthetic surfactant in your products? A： We do have products that contain synthetic surfactant. Synthetic surfactant is not just a cleansing agent that removes the dirt but also an emulsifier such as cream and milky lotion, conditioner for smooth hair, equalize the distribution of essential oil contained in the products, and a solubilizer to reduce the skin irritation. We carefully select a safe, environmentally friendly and useful synthetic surfactant in conformity with the form or purpose of the product.
- Q：Do you use petroleum-derived raw materials for your products? A： Some of our products use petroleum-derived raw materials. Matsuyama preferentially selects plant-derived (natural) ingredients and raw materials at the stage of product development. On the other hand, some products, depending on their ingredients or properties, cannot be produced from or ensure good stability with plant-derived ingredients alone, or there are some raw materials, etc., with difficulty in constant supply. In addition, the safety and biodegradability of ingredients depend on their properties, not on their origins or whether they are natural or synthetic. For this reason, Matsuyama also uses chemically synthesized ingredients, ingredients synthesized from plant-derived and petroleum-derived raw materials, and ingredients synthesized from petroleum-derived raw materials. All of these ingredients have distinguished safety.
- Q：I have heard that citrus-based essential oils cause blotches on the skin. Are they safe? A： ssential oils (citrus-based essential oils in particular) have a property called phototoxicity, which causes blotches etc. if they are applied to the skin and exposed to sunlight. All of the essential oils used in Matsuyama’s products, however, are ones known to be free of furocoumarins, which are phototoxic substances, or contain trace quantities of such substances even though they are used. Phototoxicity is attributable to the contents of phototoxic substances, and whether it appears depends on the blending ratios of these substances when they are used for cosmetics. It is generally said that the safe dilution rate of essential oils, when applied to the skin, is 0.5 to 2.0% or below. Based on this value, Matsuyama determines the blending ratios of essentials oils into products, taking into account the properties and scents of individual essential oils, and designs products so as not to manifest phototoxicity. The level of irritation to the skin is different among individuals. If you have experienced skin problems when you used cosmetics containing perfumes, among others, and then exposed yourself to sunlight, we advise you not to use cosmetics containing essential oils.
- Q：Do you test on animals? A： No, we do not conduct any kind of animal testing in the process of making products. Also, we do not outsource animal testing to other facilities. Our products are tested on our own staff and external collaborators.
Q：What kind of inspection do you perform in connection with the problem of radioactive substances, and how do you deal with it?
If radioactive substances derived from the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant in 2011 could be detected in Matsuyama’s products, if any, they are raw materials and packing materials.
With regard to water, among all materials, our Sumida Factory (in Tokyo) uses tap water of Tokyo as raw water, and our Fujikawaguchiko Factory (in Yamanashi Prefecture) uses underground water pumped up from 200 m below ground. The Bureau of Waterworks of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Town of Fujikawaguchiko regularly measure radioactive substances and release the results on their websites. We keep a close watch on this data, news reports, etc. and confirm that the waters are safe to use. Most raw material plants, from which extracts, oils, and fats are taken, are distributed as food. Since the aforementioned accident, we have investigated the areas (prefectures) of origin of raw materials using plants of Japanese origin, including wildflowers and natural vegetation, and used them after confirming that they do not fall under the “items and areas covered by inspection plans, delivery restrictions, etc.” established by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. If any raw material falling under these items or areas is found, we (1) immediately switch it to a raw material of another origin, or (2) if no alternative raw material is available, use the raw material concerned after confirming that the raw material manufacturer investigated it for radioactive materials and considered it safe to use. Raw materials include clayey substances, such as kaolin and bentonite. These substances can be obtained from deep points under ground, and there is little chance that radioactive substances are detected from them. Even so, we investigate and confirm these substances as in the case of raw material plants as mentioned above before use. Packing materials are manufactured in an indoor isolated, controlled environment, and we determine that they are not contaminated by radioactive substances at all at present. In our product manufacturing process, all products are also manufactured in an indoor, controlled environment, and there is little chance that radioactive substances released into the air are contained in our products. Matsuyama continues to collect correct information and take appropriate actions to provide customers with products that are safe for them to use.
[Reference] Views of the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association about the safety of cosmetics etc.